Breast implants are medical devices, approved by the FDA for breast augmentation. The types of implants include silicone and saline:
- Silicone implants: Silicone implants most closely resemble natural breast tissue in softness, weight, and bounce. They are available in a wide array of sizes, widths, and levels of projection.
- Saline implants: Saline implants are filled with saline solution, and as the implants are filled after insertion, saline implants require a shorter incision.
- Gummy bear implants: These implants are filled with a more cohesive gel, allowing a teardrop-shaped implant to hold its shape.
These implants are manufactured by the following companies:
- Mentor: A division of Johnson & Johnson
- Natrelle: Produced by Allergan, the makers of BOTOX
- Sientra: A newcomer to breast implants, these implants have a 20-year guarantee.